Tuesday, September 25, 2012

B&W vs. Color

I just walked through the Travel section at Barnes & Noble and instantly I drifted away to far away lands. I touched the covers of the maps and atlases as if they were ancient manuscripts resurrected from the a time when men walked on bare feet and wore cloth skirts. I was overwhelmed with excitement and wonder! Like a kid in a candy store ;P

My mission: Find a world map to complete my wedding gift for my best friend.

I slipped away to the calendars that were nearby where a Parisian calendar entitled, "Remember Paris, 1913," caught my eye. It was filled with black & white sketches of the old Paris - one of the most romantic cities in the world, and most recently, the last stop on my Eurotrip this past summer. Then I found another calendar, "A Walk Through Paris," with the Louvre on the cover. This one was in color ;) It brought me back to that warm summer afternoon when I soaked my feet in the fountains of the Louvre. Ahh...memories...sigh.....

Back to reality, I noticed I was drawn to all the calendars that were full of bright, bold colors. A thought hit me - I remember I used to love b&w photos so much. I hung b&w portraits in my Hollywood studio, I would edit my photos and turn them to b&w and was deathly afraid of neon! But now, black & white seem so triste. So desolate, drab and dreary. I put the b&w calendar down as fast as I had picked it up. Then, I remembered the wise words of someone that I used to know, "Life with you is more colorful." Probably the best compliment I've received in life thus far ;D Recently, I've started to gain that color back in my life. I wear red lipstick, neon garments and accessories all colors of the rainbow. I dine al fresco whenever possible, listen to foreign music, talk to strangers (in their native language if I know it) and smile as often as possible ;D [Did you know it take 43 muscles to frown and only three to smile?] I do not see only two options anymore, no right or wrong, good or bad, beautiful or ugly, there's all the in between, and that, my friends, is where you will find color ;D

I did not accomplish my mission at Barnes, but I did find this one my way out the door...


What color(s) is your life made up of?

No comments:

Post a Comment