Sunday, June 24, 2012

Part Deux: Paolo

Paolo.

Ahhhh...what a beautiful man! And I say beautiful, not handsome, because he truly is. I could stare at him all day long ;D Paolo, is maman et papa's nephew from maman's sister. I had been anticipating this meeting because just from the photos around our house I've had my eyes on him. He is 5th year med school student in Reims. If I understood correctly, he is going to specialize in pathology, and has five more years of school to complete. Yikes! Paolo came to pick me up with papa since he is now on holiday, and we gave him a ride back to his small village next to Saint-Dizier.

Paolo was extremely polite and introduced himself formally. He was quite charming with his light coffee brown eyes. His fascination with art is admirable. He showed papa et moi the Bibliothèque de Reims which Andrew Carnegie founded. It's unique for it's art-deco architecture, and Carnegie built it to honor people in service industries. Inside the lobby are portraits made of onyx of those who serve or help others such as doctors, preachers, etc. The study room to the right of the lobby was incredible. It was a Double Decker room and the ceiling was a stained glass piece of art by Jacques Grüber. It was an art-deco piece that Paolo was completely enamored with. He told me this is where he studied all the time, and I could see why... it was so zen.





Next to the bibliothèque was the famous Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims. It was breathtaking! Just standing in front of it I felt emotional. Paolo told me that it was completed destroyed during WWII, and Rockefeller gave money to help restore this sacred cathedral. It was originally built in the 13th century. Papa told me it was in this very cathedral that the Kings of France were granted kingship. The architecture of the cathedral is Gothic style that was a major artistic achievement for France. I have always been a fan of Gothic architecture, cathedrals in particular so I was astounded by it's intricate and delicate façades. My head was tilted towards the sky the entire time we toured the cathedral. I was beating myself up for not bringing my real camera, but thank heavens the for the iPhone!


Fascinating detail
These sculptures and the ones just to the left (not photographed) were just restored 10 days ago.
Paolo et Papa on the right
I lit a candle (second tallest from the left) for my Mom at the back of the church near this mini replica.

After walking around the exterior and interior in complete silence, we headed to a brasserie for lunch. Well unfortunately, I could not stuff another meal inside me :( I had not been to a restaurant this whole time I've been in France because ma famille says the restaurants in Saint-Dizier are not very good so I took their words for it. Finally, my first chance to dine in a French restaurant and I can't because I'm stuffed like Thanksgiving turkey. I opted for a glass of champagne while I watched and listened to papa et Paolo eat, drink and converse. I thought it was a little hilarious that in a nice brasserie the meals were served with frites. I know it's common here, but in appearance it did not fit it's upscale counterpart. I was ashamed I couldn't even take the offer of a coffee. I slightly regretted it after the cute petit cups were brought to the table along with a piece of chocolat noir. Damn! Perhaps next time :/

We exited the restaurant back out to the street with a lovely view of the cathedral. I noticed this time that there was a deck near the top of the cathedral that visitors could go up to. If I get a chance to go back to Reims, that is the first place I'm going to. I could stare at the stained glass, fine details and enormous Gothic structure all day long..... just like Paolo ;P


À poursuirve...

No comments:

Post a Comment