Friday, June 22, 2012

Teaching - it just might be in my future...

So I was pretty bummed yesterday when Maman et moi did not head out for Paris :( Her conference was cancelled so we stayed in Saint-Dizier. But when one door closes, another opens.... I was asked to teach English for the third time at Louise's school by her teacher, Monsieur Guy.

I taught my first English class last week and absolutely loved it! I enjoyed being in the limelight, and sharing knowledge about my country and myself. It was a learning experience for me as well as the children. I think I was just as nervous as some of the students when I spoke. I could tell my face was cherry red! The students were so eager to know about the US, even the shy ones who didn't want to speak had grins on their faces when I told them about Americans, New York City, Mr. Barack Obama, celebrities or the working in the entertainment business.

Since it was my first time (ever) teaching a class, I did not have structure or any clue what I was doing really. My strategy was to just engage the children and have some fun. I think their curiosity put me at ease, and help things flow. When we got to the portion of the class where the children asked me questions about myself and my country, I had to laugh at one young fellow. "Can I have your number?" he mumbled under his breath. Boys will  be boys, won't they?!? By the end of the class, no one wanted to leave and they even asked me if I could join them in their next period, so I think I made an impact :D

On Wednesday, I taught an Advanced English class and was not prepared whatsoever. There were only 12 students in this class and all eyes were on me. I did not turn cherry red like the first time, but I felt like I wasn't sharing enough interesting information about my country or myself. It was like they were waiting for some GRAND news, but I had nothing :(. Hopefully, I didn't bore them to death!

Yesterday however, I was so much more prepared for my second Advanced class. I told the students new items about myself and asked the students about themselves. I had all my US history down and transitioned smoothly to each section of my class (Three sections: Speaking/Listening, Questions & Answers and a Short Comprehension Quiz). I was so proud of myself for being super prepared! I'm not sure if it was the students themselves or the ungodly hour of the class, 17:00h (5:00pm ST), but they were beyond shy and lacked participation skills. There were two boys out of 12 students and they did all the talking. I waited to start the quiz just so I could ask questions about themselves so they would have to participate. I think it helped them break out of their shells a bit. Mission accomplished!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would do it over and over again! The smiles on the children's faces, the enthusiasm and motivation they had to learn, speak and correct themselves if they happened to make a mistake made me proud. :D I felt honored simply because I was in their presence. I thought to myself each time I left the classroom, "I could see myself teaching again. I want to be back in front of that classroom!" So maybe it's written in the stars that Arikka will become Miss Arikka or Miss Rin, the teacher? I'd gladly accept the challenge.

Oh, and I think I made a good impression on Monsieur Guy as well! He introduced me to Monsieur Rondst, another English teacher, who wanted me to teach his class. They even invited me to a dinner party with all the English teachers at the end of the school year (coming up in two weeks.) Not too shabby, eh?!?

1 comment:

  1. Duuude, you're totally that hot teacher now. Maaan, you don't know what you're doing to those boys lol.

    ReplyDelete